A message from our Honorary Campaign Chairs, Madelaine and Steve Halmos:
“We’re committed to Jack & Jill and support its effort to have an even deeper and enduring presence in the lives of children and families, particularly those living in the most challenging of circumstances. Establishing a new elementary school built upon Jack & Jill’s proven model of education and family support is, in our opinion, an important and necessary step to securing successful lives for those families. We’re proud to help launch this effort with our gift and will do everything possible to make the new school a reality.”
More about our next chapter—An Elementary School:
Our successful families graduate from Jack & Jill and face limited opportunities for a high- quality elementary education. After careful financial and operational planning, along with parent and community feedback, in October 2017, Jack & Jill’s board of directors approved a plan to construct and operate a modern elementary school on its existing campus. We will soon offer a timely and much-needed alternative in educational choice to local families by extending our proven education program to a K-5 elementary school. Today we are offering kindergarten-third grade in our leased space at the Salvation Army Community Center. The goals of this new school will be to prepare students for success in career and life and to be one of the highest performing schools in Broward County based upon the following:
- An accredited school incorporating research-based best practices.
- Extended school day for students.
- Technology-driven STEAM curriculum (science, technology, engineering, arts and math).
- Dedicated, highly-skilled staff and educators with low student to teacher ratios.
- Daily healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks.
- Extracurricular activities fostering healthy social-emotional growth and personal development.
- Quality after-school program to include enriched after school and summer camp experiences.
This transformational project will be accomplished through an $11 million capital campaign with $9.2 million needed to construct a state-of-the-art school building, and $1.8 million to provide initial operating funds.
New School Quick Facts
- 220 students will be enrolled in the K-5 program
- 352 total students will benefit from the Jack & Jill education program
- 37 new full-time jobs will be created
- The operating budget will increase from $3.1 million to $3.6 million in our 8th year of operation. Most students will receive tuition funding from Step Up for Students
- The new school will feature 12 classrooms, arts and science lab, music and media lab, rooftop play area, wellness room, dining room and state-of-the-art security and technology
- Zyscovich Architects, based in Miami with significant school experience, is our architect
Capital Campaign Quick Facts
- This project builds on the successful 2002 campaign raising $4.6 million for our Halmos Family Building
- Madelaine and Steve Halmos serve as Honorary Chairs and have made a $1 million gift for this new school.
- As of January 1, over $8 million has been raised in contributions and pledges
Eager to help?
- Make a contribution or pledge to our campaign—if you have already made a gift, we want to express our sincerest gratitude! Thank you!
- Introduce Jack & Jill Center to a friend, family member, or colleague
- Host a small reception at your home or club, or organize a group tour of the school
- Share your ideas with us, we want to hear from you! Contact Chief Development Officer Maria Meyer at (954) 463-8772, ext. 203